Two crazy kids in love (and their dog) take you on a journey through animal rights!

Friday, April 13, 2007

I have a dream...

I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said, "You have been given a dream, and you have also been given the tools to reach it" (or something to that effect). Now, I know fortune cookies aren't really a very good indicator of how well this project is going to suceed, but it made me feel pretty good!

I have a grand dream of ending this country's love affair with meat. That will very likely not happen, at least in my lifetime. I would absolutely adore it, if all of you stopped eating meat... But again, that's a little farfetched. But I have another dream: For everyone who reads this to have ONE meatless meal a day. Luckily for me, that one is much more achievable!

That may sound a little ambitious, considering most of you are full-fledge meat-eaters, but it can be done, especially if you take it slow! Say, for a few weeks you eat one meatless meal that week, then two, and then three... Eventually, you're down to one meatless meal a day.

Now, you may be asking, "Why on Earth would I want to eat a meatless meal every day?"
  • More options! There are a ton of delicious (and nutritious) different vegetables, fruits, and grains out there for you to try. The most delicious things I've ever eaten in my life were not carved from an animal, but were in fact different veggies.
  • Cut your food costs! It's no secret that being a vegetarian is MUCH cheaper than buying all that expensive meat.
  • Reduce your carbon footprint! The meat industry is a huge contributer to environmental destruction.
  • Lose weight, lower your cholesterol, etc! Eating vegetarian is much healthier, you're sparing your body from some nasty stuff.
  • Save animals' lives! I think that one speaks for itself.

There is much more to each of these benefits, but, hey, I need stuff to blog about in the future! Try a meat-free meal this week. Let me know what you ate, and what you thought! Nikki will be piping in soon with some great vegetarian recipes, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me a bastard or an unhealthy slob, but I love my meat! I would like to try at least one meat-free meal.

The new opportunities strikes me as a good reason (just like taking meat out of your diet is closing opportunities). I like to try new things.

Jenni-Benni said...

I know people love meat, which is why, although I would LOVE it if everyone stopped eating meat, I'm not holding my breath for that one!

There are tons of new opportunities for food if you strive to try some meat-free options. Think of the world of food you are leaving out if you only eat things that have meat in them!

Anonymous said...

You know - I love you guys - Sugar and Visitor included! I have always eaten a lot of veggies, but I usually have always had chicken with everything.

Since I met you guys close to a year ago, I've been eating a lot more veggies with no chicken, and I've been trying new veggies and fruits - I had artichokes for the first time this past week (what a coincidence I liked them then signed on here and saw your artichoke dip).

I still love my chicken, but it takes up a smaller portion of my diet now. :)

Jenni-Benni said...

That's great Sam!! It's amazing how much people miss out on when their diet revolves around meat. Since becoming vegetarian I have tried so many new vegetables that I never had any interest in before, and I'm so glad I did.