Two crazy kids in love (and their dog) take you on a journey through animal rights!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Every Day is Tag Day!

I had a very interesting night last night! My very best friend in the whole wide dog world is Dozer the Lab. Well, last night, when my mommy came home from work she found Dozer playing with another neighborhood dog. She went to give him a treat and realized... He wasn't Dozer at all! It was another black lab we had never seen before. So, we went door to door asking people if they knew where he came from, but alas, he apparently had no home near us!

My new friend, who Daddy named Vagabond, was wearing a Harley-Davidson collar, but no name-tag. He did have a rabies tag though. Luckily, my mommy is very ingenuitive so this morning she called the veterinarian where Vagabond got his rabies shot and gave them his tag year and number. The nice lady at the vet's office gave my mommy the number for Buddy's parents (as we found out his real name was) and Buddy went home this morning!

It was a good thing Buddy was wearing his rabies tag, or he might never have made it home! I think all dogs should be equipped with a proper tag so if they ever lose their mommy and/or daddy, they can find their way home. Even inside dogs sometimes get outside and lost! Another option is microchipping. This is a tiny chip inserted into a dog's ear (I have one, and it doesn't bother me at all!) that can be scanned if I dog is ever picked up and has lost his collar. It's a permanent way of making sure your best friend can always make it back to you safely.

Here in Spartanburg, the Humane Society does microchips for only $20! Check them out at http://www.spartanburghumanesociety.com/ Tags can be purchased very cheaply at Walmart, Petsmart, or your vet's office.

On April 7th, the American Humane Association launched a program called "Every Day is Tag Day!" You can check out tagging information and tips on what to do if your pet ever gets lost at http://americanhumane.org/tagday

I sure had fun playing with Buddy, but I'm kind of glad to have my red ball to myself again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Working at a vet's office I see a lot of cases of animal abuse, neglect, and even accidents that should've been prevented. We also have a lot of animals who get found on the side of the road that look in perfect health, groomed, collars, well-taken care of, mannerly, but have no tags on their collars. Surely, someone who took such great care of their pets want them back safe and sound? How are we to return these lost pups to their homes when we don't even know how to find them?

Microchipping has solved a lot of these problems! It can be inserted in the ear or the neck area and are extremely easy to use. If you love your pet, keep them safe with a microchip!! Thank you so much Jenni for posting about microchips, it is def. something people should use and be informed about.